kanotix.com

Installation - Simple installation question

veloct - 25.09.2006, 15:56 Uhr
Titel: Simple installation question
I'm going to be installing Kanotix 006-01-RC3 later on today. Looking through some of the documentation, qtparted only will format the root partition. Does the installer give you an option to use cfdisk? If not, what's the best way to go about formating prior to installation? Thanks.

edit: my usual scheme is:

/boot
/swap
/
/home
(storage partition)

No windows on this pc Smilie
drb - 25.09.2006, 16:03 Uhr
Titel:
try gparted in the installer or get the gparted LiveCD 3.1.1 iso

drb
mzilikazi - 25.09.2006, 16:50 Uhr
Titel: Re: Simple installation question
veloct hat folgendes geschrieben::
I'm going to be installing Kanotix 006-01-RC3 later on today. Looking through some of the documentation, qtparted only will format the root partition. Does the installer give you an option to use cfdisk? If not, what's the best way to go about formating prior to installation? Thanks.

edit: my usual scheme is:

/boot
/swap
/
/home
(storage partition)

No windows on this pc Smilie

You can simply fire up cfdisk before you run the installer. The installer will see your partitions. If you use the text mode installer (best way to go IMHO) you need to edit .knofig by hand and add your extra partitions.
ockham23 - 25.09.2006, 16:58 Uhr
Titel: RE: Re: Simple installation question
There's no need for a boot partition if you use Kanotix and ext3/reiserfs for /.
veloct - 25.09.2006, 16:59 Uhr
Titel: RE: Re: Simple installation question
Either way sounds simple enough. Thanks for the replies.
NuxIT - 16.10.2006, 02:42 Uhr
Titel:
I was doing a fresh install and now I get the msg I don't meet the requirements to load. Says I don't have enough HDD space! I never had this problem before. I always have dual-boot systems and whenever I install linux I free up a portion of one of my HDD to load to. Then the install script usually lets me use the auto partitioning to install onto the non-DOS/FAT/NTFS partition I have freed up. Now it's not "seeing" this free partition and says I don't meet requirements. I couldn't figure out how to format the 8gigs I had freed up to use using the cfdisk or the qparted partition tool. I could format the 8gigs to any file system I wanted and hit commit but then the installer gave me the same error of not meeting specs. Can someone help me with partitioning the 8 gigs to have the same file structure as this posters? I can only seem to choose 1 given filesystem or folder structure. Confused.

Edit. Ok. NM. I think I got qtparted figrured out. I sliced my 8gigs free on hda6 to be /home - 3.1 gigs / - 4 gigs /swap - 1gig. The installer is now working so I hope all goes well (fingers crossed).
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007