28.03.2024, 18:26 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
richdave2000
Titel: qparted and hdd  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 01:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Aug 2006

I wish to partition and install 64 bit Kanotix to hdd. The partition tab allows install to hda1, hda6. Hda is my PCLinuxOS install, so I don't want to lose that. Hdb is WinXP and hdc is my cd/dvd. Boots fine and everything seems to work as live CD. Would setting up hdd with cfdisk or sfdisk help? TIA

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
kb0hae
Titel: RE: qparted and hdd  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 03:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jul 2005

Hi. How many hard drives do you have? I am not sure if you want to add a hard drive, or add a partition to an existing hard drive.

richdave2000
Titel: 3 hard drives  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 03:24 Uhr

hda, hdb, and hdd. Hda has PCLinuxOS, hdb has WinXP, and hdd was my media storage, music, videos, etc. Moved all of that to the PCLinuxOS, hda. Qparted only offers the option, if I have it right, of formatting hda for install, which won't work for me. I need to install to hdd. Setting up the partitions is not the problem.....getting them on the right hard drive is. Can you help me out here?

devil
Titel: 3 hard drives  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 06:17 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
you have to format it with a linux filesystem for the installer to be able to offer it a goal for an install.
i recommend cfdisk to do so and then mkreiserfs.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Swynndla
Titel: RE: 3 hard drives  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 12:36 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
Yea, as devil says, cfdisk is the way to go.

Become root on a console by entering the command:
sux
... and then enter the command:
cfdisk /dev/hdd

... you can set type to 83 (Linux), and write you changes.

You should be doing this from the live cd btw.

Then do the command:
mkreiserfs /dev/hdd

(although I think the installer can format it for you anyway)

richdave2000
Titel: Opens hdd for install, but  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 18:04 Uhr

it apparently only allows 1 partition and installs to the whole partition. Or am I missing something? I would like a new /usr and /home partition, or at least a /home partition. Or will Kanotix use my existing /home partition on PCLinuxOS? This is probably easy for the power user or experienced Linux user. Sure wish I was one of those.

Swynndla
Titel: RE: Opens hdd for install, but  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.08.2006, 21:19 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
Use cfdisk to create several partitions in /dev/hdd ... you can create a swap partition too if you'd like.

Have a look here:
http://kanotix.com/FAQ-id_cat-63.html#q418

mzilikazi
Titel: Re: Opens hdd for install, but  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.08.2006, 22:59 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
richdave2000 hat folgendes geschrieben::
it apparently only allows 1 partition and installs to the whole partition. Or am I missing something? I would like a new /usr and /home partition, or at least a /home partition. Or will Kanotix use my existing /home partition on PCLinuxOS? This is probably easy for the power user or experienced Linux user. Sure wish I was one of those.

Please read the cfdisk howto linked by Swynndla then you might want to read how to do a power user installation.

I'm just naturally distrustful of fancy GUI's that make things too complicated. Using cfdisk & editing the .knofig file works everytime.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.