29.03.2024, 14:21 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
mikekgr
Titel: How can make a custom Bootagle CD with GRUB inside...  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 10:44 Uhr

Anmeldung: 14. Jan 2004
Dear friends, I am trying to make a custom grub bootable CD with my kernel (kanotix) , with my initrd (with usb modules inside) and of course a simple menu.lst.
The question is: how can “build” this special Bootable (Grub) CD???
(I need it in order to boot an external kanotix hd usb installation, from a PC that does not support usb booting)

Fact 1: The computer does not boot from USB so I have a special prepered initrd that loads the required modules...

Fact2: my problem is the *creation of grub bootable cd* in order to boot the kernel and initrd (with the proper usb modules) and then, the booting of the external usb is trivial...

Fact3: I prefer bootable cd with no boot floppy emulation because does not is big enough to hold the kernel and the initrd (because the limit is 2.88 MB when choose the floppy emulation).

Please help me,

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

registered Linux user #313148
(http://i18n.counter.li.org/)

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
bigrigdriver
Titel: RE: How can make a custom Bootagle CD with GRUB inside...  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 14:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 01. Sep 2006

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual ... D-ROM.html

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
mikekgr
Titel: RE: How can make a custom Bootagle CD with GRUB inside...  BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 17:00 Uhr

Dear bigrigdriver,
I will check the URL.
Thanks a lot

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
mikekgr
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 03.09.2006, 20:29 Uhr

Dear bigrigdriver

yes I tried the "howto" from the URL you gave me (Making a GRUB bootable CD-ROM) and I report great success.

Thanks a lot friend.

Best Regards,

Mike Kranidis.

For the reference the way to go is:

Making a GRUB bootable CD-ROM

GRUB supports the no emulation mode in the El Torito specification1. This means that you can use the whole CD-ROM from GRUB and you don't have to make a floppy or hard disk image file, which can cause compatibility problems.

For booting from a CD-ROM, GRUB uses a special Stage 2 called stage2_eltorito. The only GRUB files you need to have in your bootable CD-ROM are this stage2_eltorito and optionally a config file menu.lst. You don't need to use stage1 or stage2, because El Torito is quite different from the standard boot process.

Here is an example of procedures to make a bootable CD-ROM image. First, make a top directory for the bootable image, say, iso:

$ mkdir iso

Make a directory for GRUB:

$ mkdir -p iso/boot/grub

Copy the file stage2_eltorito:

$ cp /usr/share/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito iso/boot/grub

If desired, make the config file menu.lst under iso/boot/grub (see Configuration), and copy any files and directories for the disc to the directory iso/.

Finally, make a ISO9660 image file like this:

$ mkisofs -R -l -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot \
-boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o grub.iso iso

This produces a file named grub.iso, which then can be burned into a CD (or a DVD). mkisofs has already set up the disc to boot from the boot/grub/stage2_eltorito file, so there is no need to setup GRUB on the disc. (Note that the -boot-load-size 4 bit is required for compatibility with the BIOS on many older machines.)

You can use the device (cd) to access a CD-ROM in your config file. This is not required; GRUB automatically sets the root device to (cd) when booted from a CD-ROM. It is only necessary to refer to (cd) if you want to access other drives as well.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.