28.03.2024, 19:32 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
tdamocles
Titel: installation problem....help  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 14:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Okt 2006

I'm a total NOOB at linux so bear with me....I'm trying to install on a hp4150 laptop w/192mb, 6G HD. I've set up a swap and root partition but at between 10%-19% of installation it stops. Should I reburn an ISO from a different site? Any ideas would help. The MD5 checked out.....

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
HK-47
Titel: RE: installation problem....help  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 14:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Jun 2006

welcome! since the md5 is ok, the first thing you should try is to burn another CD at around 8x or as slowly as you can. most problems with installation are caused by burn errors, and burning at lower speeds helps prevent that.

tdamocles
Titel: Re: RE: installation problem....help  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 14:27 Uhr

HK-47 hat folgendes geschrieben::
welcome! since the md5 is ok, the first thing you should try is to burn another CD at around 8x or as slowly as you can. most problems with installation are caused by burn errors, and burning at lower speeds helps prevent that.

I'll try that....I'm making a lot of coasters......

piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: installation problem....help  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 14:52 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Welcome tdamocles ! Smilie

The most important part is to burn using DAO (Disc At Once). Kanotix uses high compression technology, special care is needed when burning the CD, use high quality CD-media [or DVD+RW] and not faster than 8x, if using Nero in windows use SAO

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
tdamocles
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 15:21 Uhr

I've got the OS installed but now I can't login....Should I reinstall? This has been a six hour ordeal...!!..!!! It asks me for the password, so I enter what I previously entered in setup......

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 15:42 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
Well you can do (assuming this is HD (harddrive) install)

Ctrl+Alt+F1

then type

passwd username that will change your user password to what you want

If "root" is the problem just login as root and type

passwd which changes the password for root to what you want

If still problems you can try adding another user

adduser

Login name for new user [] "whatevernameyouchoose"

Add your name to audio group in the step Additional groups for the rest just use default by pressing enter

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 04:46 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
tdamocles hat folgendes geschrieben::
I've got the OS installed but now I can't login....Should I reinstall? This has been a six hour ordeal...!!..!!! It asks me for the password, so I enter what I previously entered in setup......

Are you trying to log in as user or root? AFAIK root login to KDE is disabled by default. (You should consult a KDE user to confirm that however). If your user cannot log in try logging in to a VT (Virtual Terminal)
CTRL+ALT+F1
Enter your user name, it will prompt you for a password. Failing that try to log in to the VT as root. If you can log in as root then you can change the user password. This should not be an issue however.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Crest
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 15:57 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
It's default that you can't login to KDE as root (atleast not from the login manager) but this can be changed in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. But on the other hand there shouldn't be any reason to do this since there is the option to start an application as root when needed.

tdamocles:
Also don't fortget that the password is case sensitive so type it exactly like you have done during the installation setup. If you can login on a terminal then the problem is within KDE.
BTW: You haven't said yet which version of Kanotix you have installed, that's also important for the next steps.

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 17:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

You should NEVER need to login to KDE as root. Always login as a regular user then use sudo/sux/su to perform an operation as root.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.