29.03.2024, 05:46 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
djroadrash
3 Titel: acx111 not recognized after using h2 script to d-u  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 15:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jan 2006

hello everyone, here is the whole story
i dist-upgraded without h2 script, errors appear, first the dbus was asking to be started and when i tried it would say it was already started. i logged all the stuff i did on my blog http://djroadrash.livejournal.com/#entry_3144
then after i did that i enabled acpi. but then (as i relate in the blog) the computer would not turn off all the way, so i did the
Code:
shutdown -h now

and for a while all was ok, until i would apt-get update and then it would not shutdown again. so i thought of using h2 script, and all went ok upgrading the kernel but then my wireless card stop working (acx 111) and so i had to use the ethernet cable to finish the dist-upgrade. all went ok. thanx to h2 for the great tool.
i thought i had to re install the acx100 modules and firmware and i did, but no luck, the card is not recognized. im not sure if i need to ndiswrapper it or mad wifi or what, but since i never had to deal with it i kind of doubt it needs any of that. what am i missing? i thank you in advance for your help.
armando
by the way am using a thinkpad a21m and distupgraded from kanotix 2006-01-rc4 Smilie

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
h2
Titel: RE: acx111 not recognized after using h2 script to d-u  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 20:08 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Sounds to me like the dist-upgrade did not complete.

However, you're taking a risk upgrading this really old hardware in my opinion, it's not guaranteed that new kernels or hal etc will actually work with it.

It's also possible you simply didn't update the startup cheatcode in terms of the shutdown commands.

It's hard to say what it is. if you did not use the install -f command followed by at least one more dist-upgrade command on the upgrade, it definitely did not finish. Currently this seems to be the most popular mistake people are making with the script.

Also, with an old machine like that, I'd do a complete backup of / before doing any major upgrade, since support may fail for any component at any time, either in kernel, modules, or other areas.

h2
Titel: RE: acx111 not recognized after using h2 script to d-u  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 20:50 Uhr

<added>If you have an old laptop, and have all the hardware you need working - Do not install a new kernel.

Why? the new kernel is supposed to fix problems you are having. If you are having no problems, the odds are very good that the kernel will create problems, especially with wifi stuff.

This will be especially significant when 2.6.19 comes out by the way.

djroadrash
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 21:13 Uhr

i think i did use the install -f i also did made the upgrade a few times i think 4 untill there was only one thing left that would not install. i might have left it with out upgrading and continued from there. my bad, on the good side this is my laptop for this kind of thing to try stuff and see the ways it brake, and hopefully to fix them. so can i just use your script again? maybe let it finish all uprgrades?
also all the stuff on my blog was after dist-upgrade the regular way, it was until i tried to fix those problems by using your script and all other problems were fixed that the wifi card stoped working. is this card not supported on the newer kernels maybe?
i guess if nothing works i can boot the old kernel?
i like the colors by the way.
thanx
armando:)

h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 22:17 Uhr

Oh, my script is not a repair broken upgrade script, it's a 'prevent upgrades from breaking' script.

Sometimes it's been used successfully to do upgrades that were broken, but that's pure luck. It's meant to be run first, not after it's broken.

However, wifi stopping working is something you have to experiment with, if you get your setup stable and running, do not upgrade the kernel, there is no reason to. Only if you know for a fact that your wifi drivers are stable, and ideally in the kernel itself, can you safely do kernel upgrades on laptops.

the best method by far is to create a stable install, where everything works. Back it up fully to an external media, or if you have room, to some other partition on your hard drive.

Once it's backed up, begin to play. If you use something like rdiff-backup you can restore using the livecd. Restoring takes about 15 minutes, maybe 30 on a slower system. It's much faster than trying to undo damage.

IMPORTANT: if you are restoring /, make sure to reformat the root partition before restoring or you can get some nasty errors. For real experimenting, avoid keeping /home in /, it makes restores much messier.

Once you find out the limits of your system, upgrade it again, if everything is again working, do another backup, and so on. Once it stabilizes, you should be able to do dist-upgrades for quite a while, but you can't do dist-upgrades on real live debian sid based distros like kanotix unless you ALWAYS keep up with the various fixes.

I add on average maybe one or two fixes a week to my script, and unless you know them all, for every week, always, it's very risky doing a dist-upgrade. The other option is to always keep up with fixes, do routine dist-upgrades, apply fixes as required. But in either case I recommend installing, running my script to upgrade it the first time at least, then choosing whatever method you want.

Debian sid is not ubuntu, it is truly unstable, and you can't run it the way you run ubuntu, so don't try. To deal with debian unstable requires a certain commitment over time, that's what kanotix is all about, and that's what my script is all about.

djroadrash
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.11.2006, 23:30 Uhr

cool i appreciate all the info and the warnings, i did treat kanotix a little like ubuntu and always felt it was a little more fragile, but at the same time smoother and more refined, i am like u said checking the limits of this laptop and the best way to run it. it is at the limit of hardware supported by kanotix so i understand if things dont work, somehow i like old stuff, i drive an old vanagon from 1983, and keep up with the fixings just like u say i should keep up and put that extra into using kanotix. i understand. i thank you for the help and the extra interest on the health of my system. i'll play and see if i can fix the wireless card, if i cant i will just reinstall. thanx again h2
its funny every time i post something i feel like a little boy that just broke something.
armando:)

mdmarmer
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.11.2006, 02:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Mar 2006
If your old kernel is still there you can boot to it and see if you can get it working that way -- just fix GRUB to boot to the old kernel.

Did you add the modules to your new kernel that include the native driver?

Make sure you did that.

You can recompile the native driver if you are sure you have installed it and it doesn't work.

If all that fails ---

You can get ACX111 working with ndiswrapper -- just get your Windows drivers over to Linux and try that

Get it working first without encryption

If you are using ndiswrapper you may need to make sure the native driver is not loaded

Mike

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
djroadrash
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.11.2006, 04:21 Uhr

well thats cool i booted the old kernel and it's fine, the card works and its all like before, the only thing i dont know is if the computer will turn off or not. we ll see. but i will try to fix the card on the newer kernel over the weekend. Smilie

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.