28.03.2024, 17:32 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
}{ERET|K
22 Titel: monitor problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.01.2007, 23:07 Uhr

Anmeldung: 30. Jan 2007

OK so I'm in a fix and I apologize in advance if this is the icorrect section I'm posting in for this. I'm new to Linux and am trying to make an honest effort at learning this operating system. Unfortunately I apparently know enough to be dangerous to my own machine. So I went to ATI's web site and downloaded and installed what I thought was the driver for my ATI Radeon X800 XL card. After installing the file I ended up rebooting the computer and it went through the normal boot menu asking if I wanted to boot into Linux or into windows. I selected Linux and it went as far as the commands coming up initializing the services and DHCP discover then the monitor just shut off like it was no longer getting signal.
I tried rebooting again and now it will just shut the monitor off during the boot process. I've been told to go in using my kanotix live CD and editing my initab file to boot into init 2 or 3 but kanotix keeps spitting the error out at me that I don't have permission to write to the file. I try to go into command line to act as root but for some reason when I try to cd into the drive it doesn't recognize the drive. according to mttab there is an entry for hdb2 but I can't get to the drive to use the chmod command. Any ideas on any of this from the how do I get to a command line without a live disk to what could be causing the monitor problem and what I should do about it? By the way before I forget this is Kanotix 64-bit that I fouled up. Thanks ahead of time for any ones help.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Crest
Titel: RE: monitor problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.01.2007, 05:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 03. Okt 2006
The first thing you should see when booting Linux is the Grub menu. Here just add a '3' to the command line parameters. This should boot your system without X and you can login as root to the terminal. Here execute 'mc' (the midnight commander, looks quite similar to the good ol' DOS Norton Commander) and head on to /etc/X11. Open the file xorg.conf with F4 (editor) and search for the 'fglrx' string (should be there when you have installed the ATI driver). Change this to 'ati' and save with F2, leave the editor with F10. Leave the midnight commander with F10 and reboot your machine. If you have not damaged to much with this driver install than you should have again a working X system. What I don't know now is how to cleanly remove the fglrx driver when it's not installed with the Kanotix script. In general it *is* the correct driver, but Kanotix comes with a handy script which automates the download and installation process and leaves usually a working system. It's also possible that you have to fiddle a bit with your monitor frequency settings.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Kano
Titel: RE: monitor problem  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.01.2007, 09:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

The problem with fglrx driver is that many driver releases require the remove of all modeline entries. I test that for each driver release (and I of course like the frozen system in case of failure) and for those which require that hack I automatically remove those lines.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.