19.03.2024, 02:09 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
djroadrash
Titel: dist-upgrade and dma questions  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2007, 19:15 Uhr

Anmeldung: 04. Jan 2006

Hello
I want to say thanx to kano and the whole team of Kanotix for the new thorhammer, I have liked it so far, I have to say that am used to sid and have a few questions.
Is it safe to just init 3 > apt-get update> apt-get dist-update ??
I have installed the latest kanotix in a compaq armada m300 600mhz 320mb and it seems to work fine, one thing i noticed is that even if i installed the dma version of kanotix i get this mesage:

# hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

Other than not being able to run vmware server (it installed ok but it would not run, when I runed vmware command on konsole it said something about the kernel not working somehow and that it wasn't configured correctly to try again.i tried a couple of times), and it's fine to do with out it any way, am pretty happy with the new Kanotix, (ofcourse I miss having a bunch of new applications that are not on stable). I keep a sidux laptop anyway so its ok.

Thanx and if anyone have any ideas let me know i would like to turn dma on the hard drive, the laptop won't have a dvd since it si a super light. It plays the movies I ripped in it fine tho.

thanx again

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: dist-upgrade and dma questions  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.12.2007, 21:20 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Yes, it's safe to dist-upgrade.

What does
Code:
hdparm /dev/hda
say, if you boot in live mode with cheat code hda=none?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.