19.03.2024, 07:13 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
CollisionChaos
Titel: GRUB doesn't boot from HDD, works on Live CD  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.01.2008, 04:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Okt 2005

I originally had a nice long post here detailing all problems, but it apparently got lost in the internet. Didn't know where else to put this so I put this here.

When booting from my hard drive, GRUB doesn't load Linux. It does load Windows. It also loads Linux when I boot from a Live CD. This happened with every distro I've tried.

I used to get a loading message that never actually loaded anything when I tried to boot Linux. Then I got error 17. Now I finally got Kanotix to get farther than those before. I see stuff like:
root = whatever
blah blah
initrd = something/somethingelse

But it stops at initrd. My cursor just sits there, blinking, with my hard drive "access" light staying on, but nothing happening over the course of 2 minutes.

I KNOW I can boot from hard drive. A little while ago I was having moniter problems. I would occasionally get "NO SIGNAL" and I'd have to switch the video input from Radeon to my integrated. While I was doing this once I accidentally let Ubuntu run, and it actually booted up. I forgot root password though lol. I don't remember whether I had my video card on or integrated; it just goes to show it CAN be done under certain circumstances (like when I don't need it to). EDIT: That was my old moniter, which used VGA, and I've gotten a new once since then which works fine and uses DVI.

I have another small problem that is annoying but this one is a higher priority for me, thanks.

Specs: Seagate 7200.7 hard drive SCSI (I think SCSI), ATI Radeon X1300 video card, MCI motherboard (I forgot specifics), ViewSonic VA2226w monitor (DVI cable, no VGA cable available to me at the moment), Pentium 4 processor, sound card integrated, 3 GB RAM (seems good, no problems at all in Windows)

fdisk -l:
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 7052 56645158+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 7053 7183 1052257+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3 7184 9729 20450745 83 Linux

menu.lst at Pastebin: http://kanotixhelp.pastebin.com/m59b9ff5d (Useful site BTW)

If you guys need any more information just ask for it, I'm in a hurry since I need to be in bed soon, semester starts tomorrow. Sorry if I seem to be asking for too much or rushing. Thanks in advance, everyone.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von CollisionChaos am 07.01.2008, 22:44 Uhr, insgesamt ein Mal bearbeitet

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
Kano
Titel: GRUB doesn  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.01.2008, 04:33 Uhr

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003

Well you get GRUB error 17 now or do you get the Kanotix Grub from hd? Maybe you could remove the splash and quiet option to see more. In some cases you can boot when you wait a bit longer.

CollisionChaos
Titel: GRUB doesn  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.01.2008, 22:41 Uhr

I no longer get Error 17, I get this (simplified a whole lot) in GRUB:

root (hd0,2)
[Blah blah stuff file system ext2fs]
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-3-kanotix root=UUID=18bf8f0d-abc0-4485-8100-fb423e13e6af ro splash vga=791 quiet
[Something something Linux 0x022b]
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-3-kanotix
[initrd @ blah blah, 0x22b00]

And it just stops booting there, with my text cursor flashing still, and my hard drive light on. I took out the splash and quiet options which brought the same results. I even left it like this for about 5 minutes on that screen; nothing happened.

It may have been because of all the Linux distros I've put this through, maybe about 5 or more HDD installs. Then again, everything was mostly working until I got that new processor and motherboard, then Linux quit booting.

On a related note, every few months or so, I'll start up my PC and there's a much longer startup beep. About 4x as long. Then everything boots up really slow, my processor speed is shown as rediculously low, and my OS would give me hard drive error messages. This is a rare occurance though, and usually I just reboot and it's all fine.

I tried to boot from that "Super Grub Disk", but it couldn't even begin to boot it because the kernel had a different name than vmlinuz, and I didn't know enough about the Disk to figure out how to use custom names etc etc. So basically I'll have to lern me sum Grub.

Thanks.

Kano
Titel: GRUB doesn  BeitragVerfasst am: 07.01.2008, 23:30 Uhr

I guess something is loaded by initrams which takes more time than a standard cd boot - there the initrd is created differently but you could only try to boot without splash and quiet option (you can easyly edit the options) to see where it stops.

CollisionChaos
Titel: GRUB doesn  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.01.2008, 04:14 Uhr

I think I've figured it out, I booted from the Super Grub Disk and this time just chose the "Boot Gnu/Linux" instead of the "Boot Gnu/Linux directly" option, and everything booted fine. Yeah, I think my hard drive is almost kaputt.

OK, onto the less critical but still annoying issue: when I set my resolution to 1680x1050 with your control center applet, it works fine and I get my nice high resolution fine. But the problem is, I get blinking. These "blinks" last about 1 second and happen randomly, about one per 5-10 seconds, sometimes more. When these blinks happen my screen goes totally black for about one second, then comes back. It is very annoying. This problem doesn't happen when my resolution is set to, for example, 1024x768. What should I do? Should I install the official ATI drivers? Do you still have some special driver-installing script I should run, or should I just follow the website instructions? Should I edit my xorg config? I'm confused. I swear, ATI will be the death of me one day.

Thanks for the help and quick responces, I appreciate it.

Kano
Titel: GRUB doesn  BeitragVerfasst am: 08.01.2008, 10:00 Uhr

try

update-scripts-kanotix.sh
install-fglrx-debian.sh -v 7-11

CollisionChaos
Titel: GRUB doesn  BeitragVerfasst am: 09.01.2008, 02:27 Uhr

That worked flawlessly. Thank you! Everything seems to be working fine now, didn't ever think I'd have this working. Can't wait to see the bugs that KDE 4 brings.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.