19.04.2024, 05:08 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]
The situation:

A DELL Notebook Inspiron 9100 is equipped with a Broadcom WLAN Card (Board: DELL Wireless LAN 1450 Adapter Rev 10.4, driver BCMWL5, Version 3.40.65.0, chip BCM4306 / BCM2050) and runs under Windows XP. As accespoint and DHCP-Server a Fritzbox 7050 is used; WLAN is configured and working under XP, SSID-name und encryption key are available. The same should work with Kanotix-2005-03! And also with Kanotix-2005-04!

Let's start.

First copy windows driver from C:\DRIVERS\NETWORK\ADDON\BCMWL5.INF and other BCMWL5.* stuff and install it with
ndiswrapper -i BCMWL5.INF
modprobe ndiswrapper

To be sure that everything okay type ndiswrapper -l . Output should say, that bcmwl5? is installed and hardware is present. To automate loading of the ndiswrapper module you can use "ndiswrapper -m".

Change /etc/network/interfaces and uncomment (depending on WEP or WPA) the appropriate lines. Note: WEP isn't a good implementation, try to avoid it if possible.
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
#
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo wlan0 
iface lo inet loopback
#
#	WLAN with WEP encryption
#
#iface wlan0 inet dhcp
#	pre-up iwconfig wlan0 essid My-name-from-windows
#	pre-up iwconfig wlan0 key My-HEX-value-from-windows
#	pre-up iwconfig wlan0 ap auto
#	pre-up iwconfig wlan0 key open
#	pre-up iwconfig wlan0 commit
#
#
#	WLAN with WPA-PSK encryption
#	
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
	pre-up /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -d -B -w -Dndiswrapper -iwlan0 -c/etc/network/wpa_supplicant.conf
	pre-up iwconfig wlan0 commit
	post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Option -d delivers debugging infos, -dd more of them, very helpful!

Insert in /etc/modules ndiswrapper if you want to load the WLAN driver upon booting.
In /etc/modutils/linux-wlan-ng I inserted
#  /etc/modutils/linux-wlan-ng
alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

Now you're ready to start WLAN with ifup wlan0.

iwconfig wlan0 shows something like:
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"My-ESSID-name"
          Mode: Managed  Frequency: 2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:01:02:03:04:05
          Bit Rate: 54 Mb/s   Tx-Power: -2147483648 dBm
          RTS thr: 2347 B   Fragment thr: 2346 B
          Power Management: off
          Link Quality: 100/100  Signal level:-76 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:19465  Invalid misc:90560   Missed beacon:0

The values for Tx-Power and Noise level are nonsense in my humble opinion. It should be said that configuring the card from the command line with iwconfig activates some settings at once, others have to be activated with iwconfig wlan0 commit .

Until here everything is done regarding WEP.

If you want to use WPA encryption (way better!), you should create /etc/network/wpa_supplicant.conf and insert:
##### My wpa_supplicant configuration file  /etc/network/wpa_supplicant.conf
#
# NOTE! This file may contain password information and should probably be made
# readable only by root user on multiuser systems.
#
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=2
fast_reauth=1
#
# Simple case: WPA-PSK, PSK as an ASCII passphrase, allow all valid ciphers
network={
	ssid="My-name-from-windows"
	scan_ssid=1
	proto=WPA
	psk="My-ASCII-value-from-windows"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
	pairwise=TKIP
	auth_alg=OPEN
	priority=2
}

Other parameters may be needed for other acces points, the examples in /usr/share/doc/wpasupplicant/examples will help you. I had to run
 /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -B -w -Dndiswrapper -iwlan0 -c/etc/network/wpa_supplicant.conf
and watch the debugging information and to change the values for eapol_version, ap_scan and fast_reauth to get connected
To run with WPA I had to de-install linux-wlan-ng and linux-wlan-ng-modules-2.6.11.kanotix-11 (or a newer version of it) as both are written for PRISM chipsets and /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant aborts therefore with an error message.

Start your WLAN with ifup wlan0.

I got many good ideas from the (german) debianforum: http://www.debianforum.de/wiki/?page=WPA+auf+Centrino-Notebook to get to this solution.
XML Revisions of $tag
Seiten-History :: Letzter Editor : spiralnebelverdreher :: Eigentümer : spiralnebelverdreher ::