28.03.2024, 14:25 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
michael7
Titel: Debian Setup HowTo  BeitragVerfasst am: 20.07.2006, 03:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
While this article is specifically for Debian Testing, it has a wealth of information that applies to all Debian distros.

** censored **

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
DeepDayze
Titel: RE: Debian Setup HowTo  BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 21:47 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

Pretty cool stuff.

ockham23
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 22:02 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Pretty cool stuff indeed, but the howto contains references to some packages that may cause legal problems in Germany. Traurig

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 23:48 Uhr

I am sure the packages in question are on servers not in Germany

DeepDayze
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 21.07.2006, 23:49 Uhr

I might try Debian Testing...but how good is it compared to Sid?

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 00:14 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Nice information, esp. on multimedia-stuff. But! They don't know Kanotix! Who is guarding them when biiiiiig changes are coming in Winken

hubi

Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 00:28 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
DeepDayze hat folgendes geschrieben::
I might try Debian Testing...but how good is it compared to Sid?

Well it depends what you mean by good. This is how I understand it:
If stability is desired, then Stable is very stable (and that's why business servers go for Stable), but if it's important to have the latest packages, then Experimental has them. Most users find a compromise and go for testing or unstable. Since Debian's definition of Unstable is actually more stable than Windows, a lot of users find that the Unstable release gives them stability and also up-to-date package updates. The Kanoitx distro makes Unstable even more stable.

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 00:36 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
As far as I know this thread is fine because it is a link, it will stay unless I am informed to remove it or someone else removes it.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 00:55 Uhr

Swynndla hat folgendes geschrieben::
The Kanoitx distro makes Unstable even more stable.

That's it. What's going on here is a dream of mine: upgrading without reinstall, and the whole community provides helping hands (team and people in the forum). Testing is imho as challenging as unstable, but where are the people to help and provide the mega kernels?

hubi

michael7
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 02:25 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
Zitat:
Testing is imho as challenging as unstable, but where are the people to help... ?

hubi, that is well said. I performed and did the netinstall last night. I ran into an infinite loop while installing an update. I didn't have a forum like this one to help me, so I shut it down and went to bed.

By the way, Debian Testing with a Gnome desktop sure looks a lot like Ubuntu. (Or should I say Ubuntu looks like Testing?)

ockham, I know what you're referring to and thought about it before I posted the link. But there's so much good information in that article, I felt compelled to risk it. I hope I made the right decision.
Geschockt

piper
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 02:33 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
michael7, your fine unless someone else "edits" or removes it Winken

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Swynndla
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 03:35 Uhr

Anmeldung: 05. Dez 2005
I asked slh about testing on irc ... he said that unstable gets security updates fast because it gets the latest package updates, and also stable gets updates as their are dedicated people coding the security updates to fit into stable, and so it turns out that testing is the slowest one to get security updates! (as it has to wait until they've served their time in unstable).

hubi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.07.2006, 12:36 Uhr

michael7 hat folgendes geschrieben::
I ran into an infinite loop while installing an update. I didn't have a forum like this one to help me, so I shut it down and went to bed.

michael7,
that's interesting. This kind of bug was twice in unstable the last four or five months. So obviously bugs are also moving to testing?!

What I like here: about six to ten hours after the Debian repository is updated, the warning is out (mostly done by devil when it's morning in Germany), and the last time not only a fix was provided but a repaired package was also available in the Kanotix repository.

This kind of service plus the excellent people in the forum makes Kanotix really outstanding. I definitely could not handle Debian unstable on my own, testing neither.

hubi

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.