19.04.2024, 21:24 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
vees
Titel: cups/printer seem to have crashed  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.12.2006, 16:24 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jan 2006

I have used my printer (a Laserjet 5p) without any problems for a long while when suddenly it stopped printing (from any application). I tried re-running the printer configuration utility of KDE, but when I try printing a test page I get the error "unable to create temporary printer" and when I ignore it and try to create the printer I get "client error bad request". As a user, which is how I used to print I am member of the following groups: username dialout fax voice cdrom floppy tape sudo audio dip video plugdev games users usb scanner camera fuse. "Lp" is not among them. I tried doing "sudo adduser username lp" (substituting my real username of course) which added me (as a user) to lp. However, when I type "groups" then "lp" does not appear in the list. When I do sudo adduser username lp again it says that I am already member of this group.
I know that this is not a hardware problem as I put a Kanotix live-CD into a drive and when through exactly the same configuration steps and my printer worked perfectly (test page printing and all).
My feeling is that some installed application has done damage to my cups server or/and to my groups.
Any ideas as to what I should do?
Many thanks,
VS

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.12.2006, 19:04 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
Well I would always suggest using your web browser to configure the printer.
http://localhost:631

You can always look at the file /etc/group to see whcih groups you are part of. BTW I think it is proper to add a user to a group as root not with sudo (although it may make no difference - not sure).

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
vees
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 15.12.2006, 22:40 Uhr

Anmeldung: 27. Jan 2006

I tried configuring CUPS through localhost:631 and IT WORKED! Jeez, so the problem was on KDE's side I suppose. Thanks so much for the tip - I learned something new and very useful.

Many thanks!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden  
michael7
Titel: http://localhost:631  BeitragVerfasst am: 15.12.2006, 23:01 Uhr

Anmeldung: 24. Mai 2005
mzil's suggestion is the easiest way that I know to configure a local printer. It requires the installation of cupsys and swat, which Kanotix does by default, but that's all.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.