19.03.2024, 06:57 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Unixronin
Titel: ALi15x3 chipset IDE support  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2007, 02:22 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Okt 2007

I have a Thinkpad i1300 laptop, which uses the buggy ALi 15x3 IDE chipset. (I discovered this fact after I got it.) I've been trying to find a Linux distribution that works properly on it. I got it working once with Gentoo, but the machine's too short of RAM to really be viable for Gentoo; any non-trivial emerge takes all day as the machine thrashes. (I can't add more RAM; there's only one slot and it's already maxed out.)

Anyway, the thing is, I found that Knoppix 5.1.1 mostly Just Works, except for the TrackPoint mouse (which is correctly identified at boot but doesn't work at the Knoppix desktop), and handles the ALi15x3 chipset just fine. But, it says "Don't install it on hard disk." So I'm trying Kanotix, which is intended for hard disk install.
There's just one problem: The Kanotix CD's kernel does not properly handle the ALi15x3 chipset, and consequently cannot access the CD drive once the kernel is booted. (The error:
ide-cd: cmd 0x5a timed out
hdc: lost interrupt

at which point booting stalls as the kernel retries and retries and retries the CD forever.)

Whatever you did with the kernel on Knoppix 5.1.1 to support the ALi15x3 chipset, can you do it on Kanotix 2007 as well? I'd love to try Kanotix on this annoying laptop, but I can't try it if I can't finish booting it.

I'm currently appending the following options: nousb dma acpi=force ide0=ata33 ide1=ata33 ide2=ata33 ide3=ata33. The ide options are to try to help work around the buggy IDE chipset; the nousb is to work around the laptop's buggy OHCI USB controller, which hard-locks the entire machine if probed at boot.

(Yes, I'm beginning to hate this laptop.)

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
ockham23
Titel: ALi15x3 chipset IDE support  BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2007, 19:41 Uhr

Anmeldung: 25. Mar 2005

Zitat:
There's just one problem: The Kanotix CD's kernel does not properly handle the ALi15x3 chipset, and consequently cannot access the CD drive once the kernel is booted.
If the hard drive is accessible, you could copy the iso file to the hard drive and use cheat code fromiso=K*.iso to bypass the CD drive.

Unixronin
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 22.10.2007, 20:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Okt 2007

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give that a try.

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.